PCADVISOR WEB SITE SO SLLOOOWWW

heribierto 12:29 16 Oct 03

WHY IS THE PCADVISOR WEB SITE SO SLOW?
IHAVE SPENT HALF AN HOUR TRYING TO GET ON TO THE HELP ROOM.
EACH TRANSMISSION OF ANYTHING AND I HAVE TO WAIT TWO TO FOUR MINUTES FOR A RESPONSE.
I GET THE HOME PAGE AND AFTER THAT I AM FED UP WITH WATCHING A BANNER FOR DEMON BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENS !
I HAVE FREESERVE BROADBAND
I HAVE A DELL COMPUTER OF RECENT ORIGIN AND PLENTY OF DISK SPACE.
ALL MY OTHER EFFORTS TO LOG ON OTHER WEB SITES WORK OK.
SO WHY DOESN'T PCADVISOR.
HERBERT SPENCER

Jester2K II 12:34 16 Oct 03

Must be just you.

Any further info you can give us?

Internet Explorer version?

Windows venison?

What program run inthe background on your PC?

Are cookies enabled on your PC?

Taw 12:55 16 Oct 03

I had a similar prob a few months ago, someone advised me to try a different browser. I got netscape and slimbrowser both definatley faster than explorer.

The Sack 13:04 16 Oct 03

Maybe it is because your Caps Lock key is stuck on?

pete-290318 13:10 16 Oct 03

there are quite a few postings like this one but I never have a problem with speed on this site ... its always instant, i fact I'm on ntl BB and lately they have been having server problems but I can always get to PCA when I cant get to my other favorites.. it will go down as one of lifes unsolved mysteries
pete.

Chegs ® 13:55 16 Oct 03

PCA site is slow due to having to support so many threads about their site being slow. :-)

This is a very busy site,thats why it sometimes runs slower than other pages.

woodchip 14:15 16 Oct 03

OK hear, Have you got any of the Cookies disabled that PCA providers like to see i.e. Doubleclick Vibrantmedia or Adtech enable them and try again

heribierto 21:13 16 Oct 03

jester: version 6. cookies enabled, PCA works eventually but is so slow
Taw: I am happy with Freeserve Broadband, as I said all my others work well and fast.
Sack: no caps lock is not stuck I type it all in and IT WORKS - but so slowly. The cap lock cannot bestuck.
Pete: all my other enquiries work fine and at speed.
CHEGS: you may well be right that it was too busy at the time of my enquiry.
Woodchip: I think my cookies are ok but I did have a spot of bother with another site that needed cookies so I'll try your advice and post a message if it works.
thanks all for the help

Jester2K II 21:28 16 Oct 03

I think The Sack was joking about the Caps Lock as typing in ALL CAPS is considered SHOUTING AND RUDE!!

This is a busy site. There have been a few complains about the site being slow but I'm sure they are the minority.

Have you tried flushing all the history and cookies and temp files?

Under Tools menu, Internet Options, General Tab, Settings - What is the "Check for newer versions of pages..." set to??

Under the advanced tab try setting the setting to default (use the default button). You'll need to restart IE for this to take effect.

Under the Privacy, Advanced what are the cookie settings?

y_not 22:41 16 Oct 03

Don't worry - its not only you.

I am growing old waiting for pages to open! I use IE6, windows washer (so cookies are emptied daily), win2k & 600Mb BB.

Seems that the grey waste of space at the sides of the window hasn't speeded things up either!

y_not 22:43 16 Oct 03

Seems someone was listening to my complaint! Suddenly running at full speed!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac