PCA DVD problem

johndrew 15:58 18 Oct 06

When I ran the latest PCA cover DVD I found that it no longer linked me to web sites or even closed at the Flash page when I clicked Exit.

I used to be able to get directed to sites using the coloured links at the software pages and Exit using the button. Obviously either I have changed some setting(s) or there is a problem elsewhere.

As yet I have been unable to find anything, does anyone have any suggestions as to the possible cause?

Thanks in anticipation.

sean-278262 16:59 18 Oct 06

Have you got the latest version of flash installed on your computer? What do you use to browse the web?

RickyC :-) 17:40 18 Oct 06

Johndrew

Some readers have experienced problems with they do not have any specific browser application set to default. There can be a problem with the links working with Firefox and the new IE 7 beta, but I'm currently working on solving that problem – they certainly work with previous versions of IE, and Netscape and Opera.

I’d recommend that you either set one of the above applications as your default Internet browsing application (if you tick the box for “IE should check to see if it’s the default browser”, you’ll be able to switch between your standard browser – if it’s Firefox – and IE), or type the urls into your browser’s address bar if you’d rather not alter any settings on your PC.

If you have any further problems, contact me directly using the yellow envelope by my user name and I'll be happy to help.

kind regards

Richard

Cover Disc Editor

johndrew 19:06 18 Oct 06

Thanks for responding.

I do have Flashplayer installed (I presume that is what you meant by `flash`) and it was updated fairly recently.

I use Firefox (1.5.0.7) as my default browser and from your posts this is almost certainly part (if not all) the problem.

My IE is not beta, I run 6 as it is a `known` quantity - even if less secure.

I can, and have been, gaining access to the pertinent sites by typing in the URLs with success (when my fingers don`t let me down!!) so can get the necessary information.

The other problem, where clicking the `Exit` button on the DVD flash screen fails to close it, totally eludes me - unless I misunderstood the first post in reply??

Perhaps you can confirm the `Exit` button bit?

Thanks again.

RickyC :-) 19:20 18 Oct 06

johndrew

Thanks for posting back, I'm pleased you've managed to get around the firefox issue.

I'm at a loss to explain the 'exit' button problem, as this doesn't rely on your browser in the same way the url and install links do.

Alt-F4 would close the interface, or hitting the 'escape' button on your keyboard will reduce the screen size and allow you to click the 'X' in the top right of the window.

I'm currently working on a new, improved all-singing and dancing menu system for the cover discs... I hope to have this ready for the February issue and it should remove the 'linking' problems we've encountered with the latest browsers..

Richard

johndrew 19:40 19 Oct 06

I can close the window, as you say, using the `X`, which I have been doing. It was this that made me believe I had changed a setting of some description.

When I tried June 2006 (131) DVD it worked so I tried December again and that worked!! PCs work in mysterious ways!!!

Thanks for all your help and information. I look forward to the February DVD.

PS. Given recent postings on IE7 I think I shall hang on a little longer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…