PC2100 vs PC2700 no performance difference

hugh-265156 22:39 20 Mar 05

hi folks i don't have a problem but would like your opinion please.

i put together a budget computer a few weeks back based around an amd sempron 2600+ & asrock mobo. i had all the things i needed apart from the memory so as a temporary measure i used an old 512MB stick of PC2100 from my other computer in the meantime.

i was always told that using slower ram would hold the computer back a lot and i really should get PC2700 to match the FSB of the sempron. the new computer ran everything much better than my last computer even using the slower MHz memory so i was happy enough.

i finally got around to purchasing the new 512MB stick of PC2700 ram this week and replaced the old stuff. I'm intending to add another 512MB soon to make it 1GB but just out of curiosity and for a bit of a laugh i ran all sorts of benchmarks (pcmark, sandra, pc pitstop, 3dmark, you name it) before and after installing the faster ram and noted the results down. guess what? all exactly the same scores no difference at all for before and after :-)

so why no difference in performance? is it because the difference in memory speed so small that even memory benchmarks don't reflect it or does it just prove that it was silly of me to waste my time running benchmarks in the first place? :-)

windows in general seems a bit more perky though.

just interested ta.

Chegs ® 00:13 21 Mar 05

Those tests are mostly graphics capability tests.I would try running a "proper" memory test(MemTest86)click here Those testers you have mentioned are well known as "erratic" (kindest word I could think of)

As a before/after results when altering a PC's hardware,testing apps are OK.Those who strive to gain an extra 2% increase by "tweaking" at the expense of stability,would be better off contemplating their navel. :-)

PC2100 v PC2700 The actual difference in performance is not great,I upgraded from PC133 to PC2700,the most noticable difference was caused by increasing from 512Mbs sdram,to 1.5Gb ddr.This PC fairly flies,regardless of how many apps are running.

dagwoood 00:19 21 Mar 05

Hi huggyg71. I don't want to sound like I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but since you installed the pc2700 RAM, did you make sure it's running at that speed(i.e.it's set to run at 333MHz in the bios)?

I'm currently running with my RAM under clocked(don't ask)and when I ran the benchmark tests in Sandra, there is a big difference in the scores when running my RAM at the different speeds. I also noticed a difference in the score when I visited PCPitstop.

dagwoood.

hugh-265156 00:26 21 Mar 05

yep its set to auto detect and running at 333mhz in the bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…