PC World PC Health checks

lucky1 22:02 18 Apr 04

I have had this sytem for nearly a year now. It was bought from PC World, and, included in the warranty, is 'free' yearly PC Health checks. If I keep my PC up to date is there anything to be gained from such a health check? Has anyone any knowledge of these?

howard60 22:05 18 Apr 04

it gets you into the shop and the hope is that you buy while there. If it is running ok I would leave it be.

Totally-braindead 22:07 18 Apr 04

I'd agree with Howard60 they are just trying to get you into the shop to buy something. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

a HUGE post on this a long time back....

If i remember, the out come i think was that it may not be worth it, all they would do is to update the system to all the latest patches, de-frag/scandisk, just general checking the machine is ok....

If you are new to PC's then it is a good idea if you dont have anyone else that can do it for you...

But if it is a freebie, let them check it over and just see what they say need's doing then ask someone else...

lucky1 22:29 18 Apr 04

Thanks for your advice folks. No, I'm not entirely new to computers and regularly run all the necessary 'housekeeping' tasks myself. Think I'll decline their kind offer! Could be like taking the car for a service, comes back worse than when you put it in!!

spuds 22:51 18 Apr 04

If you do decide to have a free health check, make sure that you book it in, and confirm that you will be present when they do it.I had a PCW health check on my computer, which was done without my presense. I am still wondering as to what was eventually done in their health check. When I collected the computer, the technician who had done the work was on his days off, and no one was very sure what the end results were.Trying to get a later answer, only made further confusions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…