PC World health check

raggy 2 23:07 30 Aug 06

hi guys, my PC is slowing down lately so went to pc world for advise and was told they do a 50 point health check on your PC for £50 and that the main reason for slowing down would be ADWARE, so my question is has anyone else used this service and is it any good. also what is the most reliable softwarei can buy myself and install and know if all adware/spyware is gone.
most free stuff is free to download and then want money after to remove such adware i have been informed by friends.
thanks in advance

VoG II 23:12 30 Aug 06

Yep go for it but I would give them £100.

Start click here not impossible not impossible and let us know how you get on.

raggy 2 23:15 30 Aug 06

why £100 are you winding me up??? are you saying its a waste

VoG II 23:21 30 Aug 06

Well think about it raggy 2!

Kate B 23:22 30 Aug 06

You don't need to pay PC World to run basic checks for spyware etc - you can do it yourself for free.

Download, install and update A Squared, Spybot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft Adaware and run scans with all three. If you're not already running antivirus software, I like AVG Free, which will sniff out any viruses.

All these are free

click here
click here
click here
click here

You should also run a firewall - I like Zone Alarm Free click here but other members will have other recommendations.

Once your machine is clear you might want to install Windows Defender, which runs in the background and keeps an eye on anything you download for spyware and crapware - it too is free.

click here

The other thing you need to do is to make sure you regularly run Windows Update, and I'd suggest using Firefox instead of IE, as it stops potentially malicious scripts running by default. click here

There is no need to spend any money at all on keeping your computer clear of rubbish.

woodchip 23:33 30 Aug 06

If you live next door I will do it on Discount £49

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…