PC working in 'bursts'

griffo 18:09 28 Jan 09

One of my PC's (only 3 months old) occassionally seems to grind to a halt, then works in short bursts, taking ages to complete any functions.

Can anyone suggest a remedy please?

jimv7 18:24 28 Jan 09

Run Checkdisk on the hard drive.

Right click in the disk, tools/Checkdisk, tick both boxes and restart the computer.

It could be your drive is on the way out.

griffo 08:38 29 Jan 09

thanks for the response. I ran chkdsk but it took so long I went to do something else and was out of the room when it finished, so didn't see the results!

However, I prefer to believe the disk is OK as, most of the time it runs just fine. The problem seems to manifest itself mostly when coming out of stand-by. Upon 'waking', the desktop icons take an age to return and sometimes don't. When this happens, mouse and keyboard don't work and the quickest/only solution is to power-off and reboot.

Thoughts please?

canarieslover 08:58 29 Jan 09

At only 3 months old I would have thought that a word with the supplier might be your best solution. Could well be a component issue and the sooner the fault is reported the better your chance of claiming replacement. If it is a self build then how soon after installing everything did this behavior start?

birdface 10:08 29 Jan 09

Maybe try Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns a small space between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok.It should tell you dns cache has been flushed reboot the computer and see if it is any better.Or maybe a Defrag.Or Go into device manager and make sure that there are no yellow marks at any of the devices.Go into Taskmanager and see what is using up all of the CPU,If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% this is normal.Anything else using up a lot of the CPU either Google it or let us know what it is.
You could try this free version.
click here It will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.It also does an automatic back up.

steviegee 10:14 29 Jan 09

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be thr GFX card!

birdface 10:14 29 Jan 09

I take it that you have run all of your security programs and found nothing.What security programs have you got and what Firewall.If you have your anti-virus running at start up maybe either run it a different time.Or stop the automatic run and scan manually at the time that suits you.Once again when your computer is running slow go into Taskmanager and see what the problem is.

griffo 11:45 29 Jan 09

thanks for the response.
I have done defrags, system idle ranges between 85%-99%. No yellow marks in device manager. Have run Ccleaner (do frequently).

Also downloaded SeaTools from the Maxtor site - only run the Short Drive test so far but that passed.

I recently installed PC Tools Internet Security 2009 (off PCA DVD) and have had problems with the internet since - keeps telling me I'm off-line and I have to click Retry, then OK - so I've uninstalled that. I have to think about what best to replace it with now though!

Also recently installed Adaware and that seemed very intrusive, so I've removed that as well. Again, need to think about replacement I guess?

Whether the above removals will make any difference remains to be seen but I don't want to be without AV, so I better make some decisions?

birdface 13:48 29 Jan 09

What Anti-Virus did you use before PC Tools Internet Security.If Norton did you use the Norton removal tool.

birdface 13:53 29 Jan 09

AVG or Avast are the most used freebies.Nod 32 the best of the pay for.Superantispyware-malwarebytes-A Squared are 3 of the best free Anti-Spyware programs.Comodo-Zone Alarm and kerio are 3 good free Firewalls.Now this is only my opinion.I think if you have an account with barclays you can get the Kaspersky Suite free.

T0SH 14:36 29 Jan 09

Why not try turning off the Standby and Hibernation options in power management, let your PC run for a few days if the problem goes away then one or other is the cause of the problem

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…