PC won't turn on - how to, or who to fix?

CJMcGregor 19:02 05 Oct 06

Over the last week PC Alert had occasionly been displaying a message saying that the CPU was overheating. I believe the problem was caused by the fan malfunctioning as it had been making a loud whirring noise recently.

This occured on two or three occasions when I had had the PC running for over six or seven hours. When this happened I would shut down the PC and leave it to cool before using again.

Yesterday same thing occured but before I had a chance to shut down, the computer turned itself off, instantly as if I'd pushed the power button.

Now the computer won't start i.e when I push the power button nothing happens.

Any advice would be appreciated, but I realise that this is probably quite serious, so unless anyone can offer a magic solution I will have to take it to a professional.

What I want to know is should I take it to a big computer place like PC World or a smaller, local repair company for the best service/cheapest rates?

STREETWORK 19:27 05 Oct 06

You may have burnt out the power supply, it could have been the fan attached to this causing the problem. New power supply is easy to fix, take old one to PC world for a replacement

phil46 19:31 05 Oct 06

It's very simple to put a CPU into a computer, but you should not have used your computer if there was a CPU problem this could have damaged your MOBO you won't know till you replace your CPU,as regards sending it to PC World or any other place it is going to cost,you will have a service charge plus the repair.

ectfabs 19:52 05 Oct 06

If your cpu fan was faulty it may have packed up .
most motherboards will refuse to start if they cannot detect a fan.It is quite easy to change a fan
.prices are from £5 to £40 depending on cpu/socket etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac