PC Won't Start no boot

joebloggs1 22:53 11 Feb 06

Friends PC was working fine, she took out a USB Pen Drive (using the safely remove..) then says screen went off. Tried monitor and its fine, but PC won't boot. NO video, no keyboards lights, no Beep - fans, cd tray etc all working. Motherbaord is Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L Skt A - I have removed Ram and all drives and makes no difference. I assume M/B has gone. I had a simialr problem once before when CPU was faulty but then got beeps and k/b lights - Anybody have any ideas or will only alternative be to buy a new m/b?

Forum Editor 23:12 11 Feb 06

Remove the CMOS battery, wait for a few minutes and replace it. Then try starting the computer.

joebloggs1 23:24 11 Feb 06

I have now tried removing the CMOS battery but no different

wobblymike 10:31 12 Feb 06

ry a minimum configuration

Disconnect everything form mobo except 1 RAM module, grapics, cpu and power. Switch on does it boot monitor - if not try a different RAM module then in different RAM sockets - if still no joy try a pci graphics card - if still not working all that is left is cpu, mobo or psu
Hope this helps

joebloggs1 10:38 12 Feb 06

I have tried this but still same result - Graphics are on board - I have tried the RAM in different slots and with no Ram but don't have a spare to try. When tried with no RAM should it not beep if post is OK? Also no lights flicker on Keyboard at all (previously experienced a PC where CPU had died but did flick keyboard lights briefly when first turned on).
All research I have done point to trying known good components, but need to identify most likely cause before starting to buy replacement components.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 12 Feb 06

1. PSU failure, can you supply from another PSU?

2. CPU failure try and reseat of CPU (you might be lucky)

3. or motherboard failure

joebloggs1 12:05 12 Feb 06

If can't fix and can't identify which is most likely to be at fault (m/b or cpu) presumably cheapest option would be a new bundle. If I get m/b then still not irght and its CPU to but both separate and pay 2 lots of postage etc likely to add up to more in cost and diffculty!

joebloggs1 12:29 12 Feb 06

to reseat processor for slot A - how easy is this. Looking at it looks like I need to get the heat sink off in order to lift the socket lever - is this correct and is it east to get off / get back on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:10 12 Feb 06

If you have to remove the heat sink then you will need thermal paste when refitting. click here

joebloggs1 14:27 12 Feb 06

can't see anyway of getting it offwithout removing heat sink

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 12 Feb 06

no lights flicker on Keyboard at all,

with all your other tests done this is probably pointng more towards motherboard failure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017