PC won't Start / Boot Up!

GlennIQ160 12:35 03 Apr 08

My PC intercepted a virus on which caused it to freeze and shutdown. Now whenever I start it up again the Window's XP page flashes on and it manages to get to one segment on the blue progress bar before it flickers and stops. I then get a black screen which gives me 5 options for re-starting the computer, (i.e. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Network.......Start Windows Normally or Start Windows in the mode when it last operated successfully). I have tried all of these options and the same thing happens as on initial power-up - and it repeats this process as each option times-out. The CPU now makes a slight whining noise as if the hard drive or one of the disk drives was struggling to work. I also cant hear the fan operating anymore. The system is a custom-build operating with an Intel P4 2.8 CPU, 512 MB DDR 333 RAM with an 80GB Hard Drive and running on Windows XP. I also cant understand how it got affected as it was utilising McAffee Virus Protection alongside SpySweeper - both of which updated and scanned the system daily. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can give - I'm pretty helpless without the system and I'd rather not lose all of the info thats stored on the hard drive.

rawprawn 13:50 03 Apr 08

Try and boot from the CD, if you can.

Ditch999 14:37 03 Apr 08

It might not be virus related, it could be your hard disk failing if its making a whining noise. Also make sure that the CPU fan is working otherwise the CPU will overheat and burn out.
I agree with rawprawn, try to boot from the XP cd.
It might be your Master Boot Record which starts Windows. If it is then it can be repaired using the Recovery Console within the CD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 03 Apr 08

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac