PC Won't start

chrischambers 17:20 07 Jun 07

Hi, hope you guys and Gals can help.

I formatted my PC hard drive two weeks ago, reinstalled all my hardware etc.

I went to the PC today and it won't start, the hard drive is coming to life but the PC is'nt loading windows (XP Home).

Any advice\suggestions. The PC does not have a floppy and I have checked all cables and there are no discs etc in the drives.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 07 Jun 07

Reboot and keep tapping F8 see if you can get into safe mode.

chrischambers 17:54 07 Jun 07

Hi fruit bat, nothing. The screen is not even displaying anything at all.
Thanks anyway

Pineman100 18:00 07 Jun 07

Have you tried it with a different monitor? If yours has failed, the computer might be booting up normally, but you can't see that.

chrischambers 18:01 07 Jun 07

no, but its a thought. thanks.

chrischambers 18:12 07 Jun 07

hi, I plugged the monitor into my lap top and it is coming up with a no signal message, same as when I boot the PC. Could it be the monitor.
Thanks

global-killer 19:03 07 Jun 07

Do all the fans come on as far as you can tell, as in PSU Proc Fan and Chipset fan If fitted.

If they do and the H/Drive appears to come to life, could well be graphics card has given up.

Another test is to put a boot floppy disc in and see if the the floppy light comes on. This does depend though if your bios is set to boot Floppy as first device as mine is.

chrischambers 19:17 07 Jun 07

thanks global, no floppy fitted, but everything seems to come to life. Tried monitor on my lap top, but it just came up with no signal on the screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:08 07 Jun 07

Looks like monitor or monitor cable us

remember you need to change a setting when using the monitor on the laptop Fn + F7 is quite common.

chrischambers 20:32 07 Jun 07

thanks

chrischambers 20:40 07 Jun 07

Did'nt know about the fn\f7 thing. Monitor and cable are fine.

Thanks, back to square one.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017