PC won't start

RodneyB 20:24 14 Jan 05

I have a 3+ year old Dell Dimension 8100. It has just developed a fault and will not start up. When you press the power button, you can hear the fan start, then a few clicks which might be an attempt to read a disk drive, then nothing. The monitor does not come on even though it is powered up so presumably it is not getting a signal.
I tried to boot up from a floppy but that did not work either. I am assuming a hardware fault, but I don't know what it might be, or how to go about diagnosing the fault and fixing it.
Over the years I have upgraded with a better video card, more memory, bigger hard drive etc. so I am reluctant to write off the investment, but maybe that would be the best option.
Any suggestions?

Technotiger 20:37 14 Jan 05

Hi, sounds as if you could have a dodgy PSU. If you can I would try another PSU, beg/borrow or something. This would then either say yes dodgy or something else.

Cheers.

AndySD 20:40 14 Jan 05

Ok start with the basics ( I always do)

Check on the back all the cables (including the power suply) are firmly attached.

Graham ® 20:49 14 Jan 05

Any beeps?

RodneyB 11:31 15 Jan 05

Technotiger - Faulty PSU sounds quite plausible. Presumably it could be supplying some power eg. to open the CD drives yet still causing the non-boot problem. Regretably, I don't have access to a spare PSU.
AndySD - Yes the cables are all firmly attached. I have removed various non-essential connections eg. external disk, printer, scanner in case they were the cause of the problems.
Graham - No beeps.

Might I get it repaired at a computer repair shop? I have always been reluctant to use them in the past, but if they have the right tools and spare components, then it might be the easiest option.

Gongoozler 11:48 15 Jan 05

HiRodneyB. This could be a faulty power supply as suggested by others, but it could be something else. The way you tackle this problem depends on how confident you are about working inside the computer case. If you feel confident, unplug everything from the motherboard except the ATX power supply connector, the processor with its heatsink and the connections to the front panel. Your computer should then boot up as far as a POST error beep. If it doesn't, disconnect the reset switch connector and try again. If you still have no joy, you will know that you have a faulty power supply, motherboard or processor.

The easiest way to check the power supply is by substitution, and this is the alternative first step. A power supply needn't cost a lot. I'm using a cheap supply from Ebuyer with my Duron 1600 system and, apart from a slightly noisy fan I have no complaints. Have a look here for what you can get for about £10 (+ delivery) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…