PC won't start

Sics 17:02 16 Dec 03

I suspect this may be caused by the CMOS battery not taking a charge, there is less than 1 volt across the poles.
When I switch on, the hard disk makes the usual noises, but when I expect the single beep all activity stops although the HDD LED is still lit & the monitor LED flashes with nothing showing on the screen. Could this be caused by a flat battery?
Can I simply change the battery & expect the PC to recover?

Cheers
SimonM

Gaz 25 17:31 16 Dec 03

It could be, but the problem is with PCs the problemas are so hard to find...

I would go and test your graphics card too, even motherboard.

Diemmess 17:31 16 Dec 03

A dead battery usually makes nonsense of the date/time and may reset your BIOS to default values, but nothing worse.

The real Gurus on this forum will I'm sure like more detail of your box, the O/S and whether its is plain PC or a fancy miniature.

Sics 21:56 17 Dec 03

Its quite an old system I'm trying to keep going for the Kids homework. It's a Pentium 166MHz with 32MB Ram on a Super P55CMS mother board running Windows 95.
The clock hasn't been very accurate recently, but it hasn't lost all the set up info. So maybe this problem isn't due to the battery.
I've tried reseating the memory CPU & graphics card

Any thoughts?
Simon

Are you measuring the voltage with the battery (cell) in situ?

Sics 22:11 17 Dec 03

Yes. Can't easily get it out as it's soldered onto the motherboard.

You may have started off with a red herring about the battery. Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 after self test. Choose step-by step confirmation first.

Be aware I may be dreaming this, as I am looking at my trusty 98 for guidance.

Entering standby mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…