P.C. won't shut down

Kernow999 22:40 23 Jul 04

Why will my computer not shut down? I go through the normal procedure..."Start" "shut down" "shut down" and it restarts.
Any suggestions, please?

stalion 22:49 23 Jul 04

os please

mulva42 22:50 23 Jul 04

Have you checked out your power settings in control panel?

end 23:11 23 Jul 04

you ARE pressing the "shut down" section and NOT the "restart" section by mistake??(easily done!!)

GaT7 23:31 23 Jul 04

If you're using WinXP this might help - click here. Please let us know if that doesn't help or if you're using a different OS. G

Kernow999 07:33 24 Jul 04

Sorry, should have said. Using W98 and yes I am pressing "shut Down" and not "restart". That was the first thing I checked.
Thanks

Kernow999 07:36 24 Jul 04

In Power Management I have "never" for "turn off monitor" and "Turn off hardisks".
Dell recommended that as my system started running really slowly.
Don't know if this helps

Scotsman 08:47 24 Jul 04

of this problem with Win98SE is having 'fast shutdown' enabled. To check, and disable it if necessary do the following:

Start/Run. Type 'msconfig' (without the inverted commas) and press Enter. In the dialogue box that appears make sure the 'General' tab is to the front and click on the 'Advanced' button. Look for the entry that says 'Disable fast shutdown' (near the bottom of the list) and make sure it's checked. OK your way out of there.

Kernow999 16:27 24 Jul 04

Many thanks. That did the trick. No more pulling the plug!
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…