PC wont restart after dvd writer installed

PCUSER2 10:30 31 Mar 06

hello all

I have just purchased a pioneer dvd/cd rewriter
I have removed my old cdrom/writer and installed the new dvd/cd rewriter, when i power up and turn on my pc, the pc starts then it stops and a blank screen appears
when i remove all the connections from the dvd writer the pc starts up fine???

I use a pentium 2.4,512,160gb windows xp home
dvd model pioneer dvr-110d

your help much appreciated
cheers

gudgulf 10:51 31 Mar 06

How is the new drive installed......as the master on the second IDE channel or as a slave to the hard drive?

If it's the latter make sure the jumper settings on the dvd drive are set to slave(If the former set them to master).

Make sure the power connector and ribbon connector(red wire nearest to power plug) are fitted the right way round and fully inserted.

If still no success then boot into the BIOS (tap delete on startup) and see if the new drive is listed in the basic BIOS settings........If not it might be faulty.

The easiest way to check is to try it in another pc if you can.

RobCharles1981 11:18 31 Mar 06

A Somewhat similer problem too what I had this happend a while ago now I brought a Philips DVDR16LS DVD-RW Drive from Dixons and when I put it in my evesham computer (conected it up properly with jumper on slave) all it did was a contineus reboot for about 4 times driving me mad, when I put it in my madeup computer works fine, so in my evesham now I have put a Pioneer 110 dvd RW which works fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5