PC Won't Restart

AubreyS 07:55 22 Sep 06

Hello all.
I have been having this problem for sometime and tried many things to resolve it. The system will shutdown, but will not restart. It shows the whole "Logging out" and "Saving your Settings" and then the screen goes blank, but then there is no powerdown and no restart.

I have to then press the power button on the front of the PC until it shuts down and then restart it in the normal way.

I am running XP Pro SP2. There are no conflicts in device manager.

aca 08:39 22 Sep 06

look at this thread and the sites suggested
click here

AubreyS 08:46 23 Sep 06

I have tried most of those suggestions but still the problem persists.

I made a mistake in my posting where I said "No powerdown" after "Saving your settings" It does actually powerdown but it will not restart.

AubreyS 13:06 23 Sep 06

Bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:17 23 Sep 06

click on [Start], <Shut Down> and select <Restart> Hold down the [Shift] key while you click the [OK] button, and Windows will do a restart, rather than a reboot.

It takes half the time a full reboot takes.

Then try a reboot.

If still no good the repair XP
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

AubreyS 13:34 23 Sep 06

Hi Fruit Bat.

I tried as you suggested. When I do the restart with shift held down, nothing happens.

I tried the sfc /scannow and I get a message that say's.....Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache.

I click retry and nothing happens.

AubreyS 21:39 23 Sep 06

I've now found the cure for the problem.

1. Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

2. Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand it, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Power Management tab.

4. Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

Thanks for the advice Fruit Bat and ACA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…