PC won't restart

Sebskins 01:28 13 Dec 03

Can anyone help me? I am having a problem with my pc. My PC would suddenly switch off and back on again. I thought the PSU was going. I bought another, same thing happened. Bought a new motherboard, chip, fan tower case, memory, HD in fact almost a new PC. The only thing I kept, dvd rom, writer,floppy and monitor. Despite this, although the PC does not decide to reboot, I sometimes cannot get it to restart having switched it off or restart. I have to press the refresh button one or twice. At times it will start but other times, the light on writer will remain alight and the power light. My monitor shuts down and the system hangs. Have check bios settings and in process of elimation of hardware. I have disabled floppy, writer, dvd rom...not at same time though. Have check my HD with another PC, as with monitor. None of the items seem to be the culprit. I'm going mad....help..any ideas on whats wrong? Its practically a new PC with new components.

ton 01:33 13 Dec 03

Have you checked the power connection, the power cable, plug and the socket it is plugged in to?

ton 01:35 13 Dec 03

Also check that the fuse in the plug is a tight fit in the fuseholder.

hugh-265156 01:35 13 Dec 03

what is your psu rated at? sounds to me like this could be the problem,especially as the computer has trouble starting.

try physically disconecting the dvd/cd writer etc from the psu,just leave the floppy and see if it starts maybe.

Sebskins 01:39 13 Dec 03

i find that having been on the pc for a time, when i come to restart, it gets as far as the dvd rom boot then the monitor shuts off and nothing happens. I try to press restart a few times befre I can get it running

Sebskins 01:41 13 Dec 03

PSU is 450. I have physically disconnected dvd rom and floppy from PSU

hugh-265156 01:42 13 Dec 03

from email:

"psu rated at 450..I don't think its the poer supply as the light on the power supply is still lit"

if you think it may be a windows or driver problem etc then try starting in safe mode.

as soon as you turn on the computer(if it will turn on)keep tapping F8 repeatedly and choose safe mode.

Sebskins 01:47 13 Dec 03

i'm not sure wheyher its a windows problem or driver prob. I thought it may be the bios settings but had them check by a friend. It may be the driver from the dvd rom?...is there such a thing? Reason I think this because it shuts down after booting from the dvd rom....what do you think?

hugh-265156 01:56 13 Dec 03

ok im a bit confused now.does the computer start and can you get into windows ok?

if you can get into windows,even safe mode,then to see what the shutdowns are caused by,click:

start/control panel/performance and maintenance/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings untick "automatically restart" and you will get an error instead of the computer trying to restart.note it down and either post the error here or in the searchKB box click here to try and get a fix.

update windows click here and your motherboard and graphics card drivers if you can from the manufacturers website.

hugh-265156 02:02 13 Dec 03

also have a read click here

click here

Sebskins 02:29 13 Dec 03

sorry.its sounds confusing. I can get into windows xp but after staying on the pc for a while, when I switch off and try to get restart ...it can boot up as far as the dvd rom and then hangs, or nothing boots up, monitor is off everything is idle but power light is on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…