PC wont reformat during XP reinstall

Major Disaster 19:11 28 Jul 05

Ive just tried to reinstall xp pro so my pc is just like new using click here as i have been having a few problems with it that a repair install would not fix and start new, a fresh.
I followed the guide but encountered a few problems.
1. A second licence agreement did not appear.
2. When i selected the partition where xp was installed on, i could not delete it.
3. i did not get the option to reformat the drive.
Now when i boot into windows everything looks like new (promoted for activation, none of my old programmes in old programmes etc.) but in my computer all my old documents and programmes are still there! I tried running one (ccleaner) but it came up with an error message.
Any idead of how i can reformat the drive?
Thanks

Zaphod Beeblebrox 19:26 28 Jul 05

if you have a full disk boot from cd and select fresh install when prompted

Altenative boot using a dos floppy at A:\ prompt run fdisk A:\fdisk

select delete partition delete primary dos partiton Or non dos partition if NTFS then exit still in fdisk create partition primary dos and set as active

exit fdisk then reboot

on reboot still with floppy inserted at A:\ Prompt type format C:\

(NOTE SPACE BETWEEN FORMAT AND C)
this will give you a clean drive to work with
set cd to 1st bootable device insert xp disk reboot then follow instructions

Major Disaster 10:42 29 Jul 05

Thankyou for your help Zaphod Beeblebrox. i followd your instructions and booted the pc from the disk instead of starting from inside windows which seemed to do the trick. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…