PC won't recognise PCadvisor dvds

astral traveller 19:52 03 Sep 10

MY pc will no longer recognise any PCadvisor dvds, when I put a disc in and click on the drive icon it says "please insert disc". All other dvds/cds work fine and PCadvisor discs have worked previously - over a month ago. I'm reluctant to do a system restore and would prefer to find out what the problem might be - any ideas?

Thanks

northumbria61 21:15 03 Sep 10

Try cleaning disc or right click on drive - open autoplay - open folder to view files - click here to begin DVD

astral traveller 23:06 03 Sep 10

PCadvisor discs which are not recognised - all other discs are okay. Right clicking on the drive icon doesn't give the option of autoplay?

northumbria61 00:01 04 Sep 10

There is a list of suggestions here but I can't find a solution as yet - click here

northumbria61 00:07 04 Sep 10

Which O.S. are you using ? I may have more time to think tomorrow or someone else may have a suggestion for you. If it had been one or the other ie; CD or DVD not working then it would have pointed to a faulty laser but as all others are working so that's not a possibility.

astral traveller 08:04 04 Sep 10

the drive is a Sony AW-G170A ATA and status is "working properly".

northumbria61 11:05 04 Sep 10

Hi astral traveller - there is an item here which best describes your problem - it relates to a Sony.
Have a read through it - click here- the last one by "b.ferneli dated 5th Jan 2010) is really interesting - it is intermittent with him it seems.

I don't know if it will help but you could try via Device Manager - go to your CD/DVD drive - expand - right click your drive (in your case Sony) - Properties - and choose "Update Driver Software" - if it doesn't make any difference you can always "roll back driver" OR you could choose "uninstall" then reboot. As it is plug & play windows should search for and find new driver.

That LINK above also points to a "firmware" update from Sony.

These are only suggestions which MAY help - it does appear that this problem is NOT uncommon.

You are reluctant to do a "system restore" but it may be worth a try and quicker in the long run. Whether it will solve this problem I don't know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…