pc wont recognise cd or dvd writer

VEG 17:00 05 Aug 04

Hi after using my pc for a few months it wont recognise the cd or dvd writer inoticed after turning it on it came up with new hardware installed. Both drives were in the pc from new and working. I cant reload the drivers fot them from cd as it wont recognise the drives and tha drive letters have changed.

Any ideas?

Stuartli 17:09 05 Aug 04

Your drives only require the basic Windows CDROM driver.

Try Removing your (D?) drive first in Device Manager and letting Windows Add New Hardware after a reboot - repeat for (E?) drive.

If this doesn't work, look in Device Manager in Safe Mode. Should they be listed as expected, then the cause is mostly likely loose/incorrectly fitted leads or cables. The secondary IDE cable, for instance, may have become detached or incorrectly fitted at the motherboard.

If you have XP, then keying in Drive letters into the Help and Support index will outline how to change them if necessary.

VEG 18:05 05 Aug 04

Hi i have tried what you said but it is still the same any more ideas

Smiler 18:11 05 Aug 04

Are they recognised in the bios If not could be the cable connections or power supply to the drives at fault try removing and replacing both at the drives and on the motherboard.

VEG 20:10 05 Aug 04

how do i find out if they are recognised in the bios im using windows xp. The pc came with a restore disk which it wont recognise either.

dfghjkl 23:25 05 Aug 04

mine did this.in my case it was nero,i had to remove "incd".from the registry.

alan227 23:33 05 Aug 04

To enter the bios, reboot your computer at the first splash screen (The one with all the information in text) press either the DELETE or F2 button 5to enter the BIOS set up.ON the first splash screen it will tell you what to prees to enter the bios or it might say to enter SET UP.

woodchip 23:36 05 Aug 04

first try a new ribbon cable on the drives, make sure the red wire goes toward the power plug. Check the old cable before you fit the new one for orientation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…