PC wont power up

Thomas_Scotland 15:04 15 Jan 15

Hello i was usingmy pc one night, switched it on went online and after 5 mins or so the PC just switched off on its own. now it wont power up. I took graphics card and sound and tv card out and tried again with nothing. the power button lights up for like half a second but nothing happens. i have had no problems with this computer apart from needing a new graphics card as the one i had died.

i think it could be the power supply unit, but unsure.

Any hints or tips would be welcome

Thanks

Thomas_Scotland 22:11 17 Jan 15

hiya jock, i did what you said and belive it or not it worked. but the nxt day i was playing a game, putting it to the test and it did the very same thing. will that just be a heat issue? if so what the best course of action to take?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:18 18 Jan 15

If it restarts after a few minutes of shut down the its heat cause. Need opening the case brush and blow out the dust remove fan from heatsinh and remove fluff layer from there also.

Probably won't need to repaste the cpu.

If it won't switch on again then the likelyhood is the PSU has failed and a replacement is needed. Take a picture or two of the inside of the case where all the connections go this makes it easier when replacing. PSU is only held in place by a few screws.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3. The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here Power supply calculator click here Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU click here and compaq PSU problems guide click here

2. 3. http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

HP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…