PC wont power up

minehead 19:41 20 Mar 04

hello i installed a new motherboard in my PC i plugged into the mains and it came on without pressing power on button ..now after install of windows and shutdown it wont switch on from front or just plugging it in ...previous board was a microstar ATX new board is a jetway J-530cf and its running a 500mhz AMD-k6-2 ive checked switch on front it works ok ...but have i wired it up wrong? can anyone help ?

Totally-braindead 19:43 20 Mar 04

Was the heatsink and fan installed on the CPU at the time? If not then it wall have blown I'm afraid.

Indigo 1 19:46 20 Mar 04

You should have a manual with your new motherboard which will give the correct wiring for the front panel switches and lights which should also have marked connectors.

Totally-braindead 19:47 20 Mar 04

Meant to say "will have blown".

minehead 21:09 20 Mar 04

the heatsink and fan was in every thing was working when first plugged in except for front switch on button didnt respond ...the reset button and lights worked fine though...on shutdown of computer i cant switch it back on ...Have checked motherboard website but no luck ..I was wondering the last board was a micro ATX .and PSU is 150W new board i think is a AT size so would there be any wiring problems?

The BB 21:40 20 Mar 04

have a look at the auto power on options - my machine kept on coming on when the phone rang!

Obvious thing to check fuses and cables - it might just be a dodgy switch or, given its only a 150W PSU that may be struggling and have cut out.

woodchip 21:45 20 Mar 04

The things to check are the plugs down at the bottom right of the motherboard for power and reset button, these have to be on the correct pins

minehead 22:06 20 Mar 04

i thought maybe board is touching case so removed motherboard out of computer connected up power supply,hard drive,floppy,fan, but computor still wont turn on ....basically its a second hand board..installed it plugged in mains and computer came straight on without pressing button on front..windows loaded up great but on shutdown it wont turn back on ...reset button worked fine while it was working switch plugs are in correct place ..its like the wires plugging into board from PSU are in wrong order

woodchip 22:10 20 Mar 04

is it at or atx

woodchip 22:13 20 Mar 04

IF it's AT mobo then you will have two mobo plugs from psu the plug with the three lotes of red 5volts wire go to the end not in the middle

minehead 22:14 20 Mar 04

orginally the computer was a Time computer having a microstar ATX 5189 socket 7 board with 150w power supply now i have replaced the board with jetway socket 7 J-530cf motherboard still running on the same AMD-K6/2 500mhz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…