PC wont post.

f1tch 03:27 18 Apr 08

Hi all,

My problem is i just bought some new parts for a new pc, but it wont post, screen stays blank, no warning beeps or anything. I've tried different RAM from a working pc, different graphics, different PSU. At first i thought it was a faulty motherboard so i RMA'd it and was sent it back saying it was fine. Sence i was getting no warning beeps, even if i just left the CPU in and took everything else out there were no beeps telling me there was no RAM, so i returned the CPU too and recieved it back being told again that it was fine. So now i know there is nothing wrong with the parts, the only thing i can think of is, because i am using an old hard drive which still has an old install of windows on it would that stop the PC from posting, because of old drivers etc? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

grove34 06:07 18 Apr 08

not exactly sure why it wont post but the hdd shouldnt make a difference , it should post without it even being connected

DieSse 08:10 18 Apr 08

"...because i am using an old hard drive which still has an old install of windows on it would that stop the PC from posting, because of old drivers etc?"

A faulty hard drive "might" stop a system from POSTing - but not because of anything onit - that is impossible.

Give us list of the new and old parts.

A PSU providing insufficient power might stop it POSTing - so might lots of other things - but we need some clues as to exactly what you've done.

skidzy 10:37 18 Apr 08

Can you post the mobo details (make and model)

Simple thing that can be overlooked at times,if Intel-is the small 12v 4 pin atx connecter not being connected.Check this if it applies to you.

f1tch 20:01 18 Apr 08

I've tried everything i know of so far, checked every connection, tried reseting bios, all to no avail.

Here are the parts i'm using:
Hiper 425W HPU-4S425 Silent ATX2.01 PSU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3600+ 2.00GHz (Socket AM2
Foxconn 6150M2MA-KRS2H Micro ATX (Socket AM2) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)
Coolermaster Elite 330 Midi Tower
Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 CPU Cooler

howard64 20:48 18 Apr 08

have you tried removing the mobo from the case and laying it on an insulator then connecting the power supply leads etc. do not fit anything other than the video card, cpu and memory. You might have a short to the case. If I am right you will get beeps and you can then look for where it is shorting.

f1tch 21:08 18 Apr 08

yeah i've tried that, the fans just start spinning and that's it, i've tried two old IDE drives, one does nothing when the pc is turned on, doesn't spin up at all. The other IDE beeps, and i tried a sata drive from my brothers pc and it tries to spin up, but sounds like it keeps cutting out like it isn't getting enough power.

DieSse 23:42 18 Apr 08

"The other IDE beeps"

What does that mean please?

woodchip 00:13 19 Apr 08

Best thing to do is put all the old parts back that work. then update one part at a time till you find the problem.

If you just fit new motherboard and CPU and it does not post the there is a problem with one of those or configuration is wrong

f1tch 00:17 19 Apr 08

DieSse, i mean everytime i connect it and turn it on the actual hard drive beeps.

woodchip, i just bought these parts.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

ashdav 00:26 19 Apr 08

It's the mobo.
Foxconn is not not noted for its quality.
If you get a good one then fine but you pay for what you get sorry.
I tried one of their boards a couple of years ago and had exactly the same symptoms as you.
Recommend you send it back to where ever it came from and get your money back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…