PC won't fully boot up

sneakerman 18:22 26 Jan 08

A friend has asked for my help and before I just re-install windows I would like to ask a question.

When his PC starts up, the monitor comes on and everything appears OK, the Micorsoft Windows logo splash screen appears and then the monitor powers down. The PC possibly continues to start up but it can't be seen.
If I press F8 during the boot up, it gives me the option of safe mode and it boots up fine. It has recently been to a PC shop for a new graphics card and I suspect that the driver is not quite right and is basically failing to drive the monitor but I can't see a way to install a new driver from safe mode which is my only workable desktop.

Any ideas?

woodchip 18:28 26 Jan 08

In Safe Mode type MSCONFIG in Run press enter, go to startup page remove ticks other than AV then restart normal put a tick in box that pops up. did it start ok? if so put one tick back at a time restart each time untill you find what is stopping it starting

sneakerman 18:57 26 Jan 08

I have unticked everything in the startup tab but it is still the same

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:58 26 Jan 08

Uninstall the graphisc driver in safe mode and reboot to normal and then install the new driver.

sneakerman 19:53 26 Jan 08

That's it now, I haven't yet re-installed the correct driver but at least it is up and running.

Thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…