pc wont display web sites

geeman001 18:31 17 May 06

hi,
i am in need of your wisdom! i recently was able to purchase a dis-used fujitsu siemens scenic from my employer, pentium 4, 2.8ghz, 256mb ram, win xp home, at work it was connected to a network, and through the network it was connected to the internet, i have loaded my broadband modem software and drivers, and it shows the connection to be running, i am getting those annoying pop up ads, but when i try to view a web page, it displays the "website not found" message, similar to what would display if you weren't connected to the web, i have deleted the old network settings, and my set my broadband as the default connection, so why cant i view web sites, retrieve email?
many thanks

VoG II 21:21 17 May 06

Try this click here

daba 13:03 18 May 06

My browser (IE6) reverts to this 'mode' occasionally, and in my case the "Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings "Use Proxy Server" box is ticked in error. I simply untick it and away I go.

I don't know how or why this occurs, but I'm used to it and I just about tolerate it. One day I may discover why............

geeman001 10:08 22 May 06

thanks daba,
that was the problem!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5