pc won't bootup

vally 13:57 07 Jan 10

running win XP but can only boot up in safe mode, have done malware/virus scans, done msconfig/startup/delete all, and am in need of fresh ideas, am considering reinstalling XP but would like to know if there are other checks i can make first please

woodchip 14:13 07 Jan 10

Have you tried running Restore to when it worked

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 07 Jan 10

can only boot up in safe mode

probably a defective or corrupt driver

in safe mode uninstall the drivers one by one until it will boot to normal mode start with the graphics driver.

tullie 17:06 07 Jan 10

I dont suppose that when you went into msconfig/startup,that you disabled something that needed to run?

vally 17:08 07 Jan 10

didn't think of those things thanx but while at work today i did think to do a scan disk check so will try that first tonight, i rekon the drive may be corrupt

rhythm123 20:26 07 Jan 10

Restore option can work well before booting up, reinstalling XP would delete everything.

So it's better not to waste time and restore it to gain the previous setting.

vally 20:32 07 Jan 10

ok, done the scan check, defrag, virus scans etc, still the same, not sure i want to try going thru all the drivers, so will try the restore option tomorrow, trubble is, my mate tried to do a restore on his once and it only allowed him to restore by one day, so do i have to set a restore point first ?, am using XP by the way

woodchip 21:05 07 Jan 10

As I said System Restore, Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore

Technotiger 21:10 07 Jan 10

No, provided you have not disabled System Restore, you should have several Restore Points to choose from - make sure you choose one shown in Bold Print!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…