PC wont bootup

bof:) 07:51 17 May 06

Hi All, I booted up my pc and got the following message:

XP will not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

I rebooted and tried to get into Safe Mode so that I could run scandisk but got the same message about the same file being corrupt or missing.

I could also NOT get Last Good Configeration to work.

I had the same problem earlier in the year click here

and I got round it by using XP repair option.

The problem is this time that when I put the XP disk in I get the following message:

Unexpected error (1313668973) occured in line 1768 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c

Press any key to continue

I press any key to continue and go back to the original message.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

xania 09:04 17 May 06

I'm curious that the error is appearing on te D:\ drive rather than the C:\ drive. Are you working with multiple OS's? At what stag ein the process does this message occur? Has it aasked youwhether you want to repair or reinstall?

bof:) 09:23 17 May 06

Hi xania, I'm only working with 1 operating system at bootup although I have 2 hard drives in the pc. The C:\ drive has winXP on it and my old hard drive D:\(f) which still has windows98se on it.

Gongoozler 09:27 17 May 06

After a Google search I've found that this error is often caused by faulty RAM. click here

bof:) 09:27 17 May 06

I get the message when I reboot with XP disk in the cd drive. I do not get past the XP setup page so do not get asked if I want to repair or reinstall.

bof:) 09:29 17 May 06

could XP disk be renaming the cd drive to D:?

bof:) 09:42 17 May 06

Hi Gongoozler, I'll take the memory sticks out and try the ones from another pc I have and get back to you.

I was also worried that I cannot get the XP disk to work. It worked the last time I had this problem

click here

martjc 09:52 17 May 06
  bof:) 11:01 17 May 06

Hi martjc, thanks for the link, it looks as if was bad RAM. As I mentioned to Gongoozler after he suggested it could be a RAM problem, I've taken RAM from an old pc I had and tried it....pc booted up 1st time without any warning/error messages.

I put the original RAM back, rebooting after every stick was put in and pc still rebooted ok.

Belarc now reads:

Slot 0.....512mb (this is the replacement)
SLOT 1.....256MB (original memory)
slot 2.....256mb (original memory)

I'll run Memtest later to see if it discovers anything.

As of yet I have not attempted to run my XP cd just to see if I get any error messages appear as I did earlier.

Thankyou everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated,

martjc 21:15 17 May 06

...This suggests that the memory was slightly unseated. This can happen as the system warms up and cools down <remember expansion and contraction from school physics lessons?> It is good sense to re-seat ALL components from time to time. I've known this to give far more havoc than you've experienced!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…