PC won't boot from recovery disc

JuneM 16:30 05 Apr 09

I want to reformat my PC, but it won't boot from the Windows xp recovery disc that came with my OEM version, it just keeps booting strait into Windows. I have checked the bios and it is set to boot from the cd/dvd drive first, so I havent got a clue what to do next. Can anyone out there please help?

stephen1978 16:32 05 Apr 09

wat make and model is your pc??

JuneM 16:36 05 Apr 09

It is an Evesham PC about 6 years old but dont know what model. Evesham were always a great help with this sort of thing but now they have gone bust.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:08 05 Apr 09

Go to BIOS set to boot from CD as first device by changing it to something else and then back again disable all other devices including Hard drives (you can always change it back later).
Save and exit F10.
Boot with CD in drive and watch for the "Press any key to boot from CD" message.

woodchip 17:21 05 Apr 09

You do not format a Drive with recovery CD. It restore all to Factory condition. Try tapping F8 and check the list to see if it gives the option to boot from CD

JuneM 17:21 05 Apr 09

Thanks I'll try, but I've already done some of this and it didn't work. I'll let you know.

JuneM 17:32 05 Apr 09

I'm afraid none of the advice has worked so far. It just doesn't want to do anything but boot into windows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:35 05 Apr 09

As per my previous post DISABLE all boot devices except CD drive.

If still then trying to boot to the hard drive then the BIOS is not saving the changes and will need to be rest to defaults by using the clear BIOS jumper on the motherboard or by removing the CMos battery for 10 minutes and then make the changes in the BIOS.

JuneM 17:45 05 Apr 09

Yes I did the first part and it didn't work so even though its a bit beyond my knowledge I am going to try the second piece of advice, so thanks Fruit Bat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 05 Apr 09

Your motherboard manual should show you how to clear the BIOS,

woodchip 18:17 05 Apr 09

You may need to press a key for it to boot from CD check your PC Manual

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac