PC won't boot past BIOS

item 08:35 24 Nov 06

Help!!!

My PC shows the BIOS screen and shows RAM memory but won't boot up any further. I get the BEEP and that is it. Grateful for any suggestions. I have unplugged USBs, removed and replaced RAM but no change.
Thanks
Item

Gongoozler 08:42 24 Nov 06

What is the last screen message?

Diemmess 09:23 24 Nov 06

As Gongoozler + can you (using Del or F2) get into the BIOS itself?

item 11:07 24 Nov 06

Shows the BIOS energy saver screen, recognises the 512Mb of RAM but moves no further. No error messages shown. I have replaced the RAM but no change.

I have disconnected the CD and DVD drives and now have a dead machine. Power going in but nothing coming out of the Power Supply. Reconnected drives but still dead. It would appear that the power supply has failed but cannot see that this would have been the cause of the original problem.

keef66 11:17 24 Nov 06

A failing psu can cause a bewildering range of symptoms. It could easily get as far as recognising the ram and then fail to power up the hdd or cpu or some oter vital motherboard component. PSU is the quickest and easiest bit to replace, and that's really the only way of testing it. Borrow a known good one if you can before buying.

Diemmess 12:36 24 Nov 06

keef66 may well be right.
The present inability

Diemmess 12:37 24 Nov 06

... to even show lights confirms this.
The earlier boot process failed at the point where real power was needed to run the HD for instance.

€dstowe 13:28 24 Nov 06

I've just had to replace a PSU in one of my machines for exactly this problem.

The computer would give the post beep, boot into startup screen and then just expire.

A new PSU and it's as good as new (almost).

item 12:07 27 Nov 06

Replaced power supply and everything works fine. Thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced