PC won't boot - not BIOS screen or HDD activity

tarquin565 15:53 11 May 08

My PC won't boot up when I switch it on. The fans are spinning, but there is no whirring from the HDD and I get nothing on screen - no BIOS start up screen or anything else.

I've checked all the connections I can, and have reseated all the RAM. I've read elsewhere on the internet that the PSU may be to blame - but clearly the power is getting through as the fans are spinning. Or isn't it that simple?

Any help would be appreciated!

Technotiger 15:54 11 May 08

It does dound like the PSU - the fans need hardly any power at all to run.

GaT7 16:01 11 May 08

Have you also reseated all power connectors/cables?

If you can't get it to work no matter what you try, it'll be worth borrowing a suitable PSU from a mate & trying it out before actually purchasing a new one.

Btw, what's the make/model of the PC/PSU? G

Les28 16:56 11 May 08

In addition to the advice given, RAM wise if you have more than one stick of ram have you tried starting up with just one stick, if that doesn't work try starting up with the other stick, just one stick on the motherboard at any one boot.
Have you tried slaving your hard drive into a friends computer to see if the hard drive is OK.
CPU heatsink fan spinning and seated OK.

crosstrainer 17:17 11 May 08

Im with Technotiger on this one, almost certainly a dead PSU. If you can get hold of a borrowed one try that before you buy a new one.

tarquin565 17:32 11 May 08

OK - I've borrowed a PSU. The one in my PC was 300W, the one I borrowed was 230W. It made no difference - the same response from the PC (i.e. no response!) Would trying a 300W PSU make a difference?

crosstrainer 17:43 11 May 08

Possible, but unlikely....I'm thinking this might be a motherboard issue i'm afraid.

You could try a complete clean and re-build, worth a try, but it may be fried.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac