PC wont boot up, keeps restarting

ShorN 18:13 25 Mar 06

Hello,

Hope someone can help, my brothers PC has a bit of a problem.

I went round today and when he goes to start it up it loads up to the windows logo and then seems to restart and the comes up with an option to restart in Safe Mode, SM with networking, SM with command Prompt, Last know working config, or normally.

I have tried each option but they all keep doing the same thing and restarting to this menu.
In the end I put in his windows XP cd and it reformatted his PC and started OK.
I then went through winows update to get all lastest up dates, and it dl and installed 40 updates and needed to restart.
When it restarted it comes back to the same menu again!

Any ideas???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 25 Mar 06

corrupt driver or system file,
as you have done a reinstall then suggest a bad sector on the drive causing a corrupt file.

Run check disk (chkdsk) from recovery consul off the CD then do a repair install.

ShorN 18:49 25 Mar 06

How do i run check disk?

When I rebooted from the recovery CD it basically just started the reformat process. No options were apparant.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:19 25 Mar 06

Using Recovery Consul
click here
or
click here

megat193 23:11 25 Mar 06

Funnily enough I inherited the same problem whilst carrying out a windows update. On a restart I can tell it is going to happen when the XP splash page with coloured bar opens and closes too quickly. I then have to shut down and do a cold boot. Tried repair but to no avail, so now I live with it.

ShorN 22:44 26 Mar 06

Still having problems, managed to get XP reintalled and connected to internet now,
currently on SP1, trying to get onto windows update, but when i lastr downloaded the 40 "critical" updates it makes the same thing happen when it goes to reboot, and installation of .net framework sp1 fails.

ShorN 22:45 26 Mar 06

at the moment i can get here but just get the error page when trying to get onto windows update

ShorN 22:47 26 Mar 06

actuallay cant get onto microsoft.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…