PC wont boot: ideas please

ricvic 17:39 01 Feb 03

My (other) PC locked up a few minutes ago (blue scree, system busy) and I had to hit the reset button.
The graphics card comes up Ok,as does memory count. However it will not boot from there.
If I boot from a floppy it registers a floppy in the drive but will not boot any further.
It certainly will not boot to C, claiming that there is no FAT partition on the disc. Thinking it may be a Partition problem I have tried booting from my Partition magic rescue discs. No joy.
I assume therefore that the HD (which is correctly reported in bios) is OK.
I scanned for viruses yesterday using an up to date norton AV. It threw up a MBR error which I ignored because I have (for entirely other reasons) recently reinstalled W98. The error message said that such a reinstallation could cause the message.

Over a week ago I replaced the graphics card which has functioned 24/7 without hitches.

Given that graphics reports OK, memory reports OK, any ideas of where I should try?

Thanks in advance

BrianW 17:48 01 Feb 03

what happens if you se you bios to "safe default" mode and try to boot?

ricvic 17:54 01 Feb 03

Turning off for a few minutes helps! It boots and runs scandisk, at least.
BIOS reports CPU temp 91, system temp 80, system fan 0(zero)RPM, CPU fan 3333 rpm.

System fan and overheating perhaps? But there is certainly air being blown out of the power vent, and I don't think the fan ever registered - and it has run happily for 4 years.

I'm still open to ideas.

ricvic 17:55 01 Feb 03

Safe default mode?
Sorry, what is that?

ricvic 17:59 01 Feb 03

Got to be out for 1/2 hour.

jazzypop 18:10 01 Feb 03

If the mbr is damaged (highly likely with the symptoms you describe), you need to fix it - click here

dunc1234 18:22 01 Feb 03

your frying your cpu, it may have run ok in the past but anything above 60 degrees is not good, as you had a success in booting it after it was left a while seems to confirm this problem, get a £5.00 fan, its a lot cheaper than a cpu

dunc1234 18:26 01 Feb 03

by the fan i mean a case fan as no matter what fan is on your cpu, you need to reduce your internal case temp. down for your cpu fan to be effective, else your just blowing hot air over your chip.

ricvic 18:52 01 Feb 03

I don't think it's software, or the HD.
It booted the C drive earlier but only to freeze on the splash screen.

Tthanks for that suggestion & link. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the diagnosis. Bios reports it an AT power supply, what do I need to look for?

ricvic 18:55 01 Feb 03

PS: Is there anything to be gained from taking the cover off while I back up docs to CD?

flecc 19:04 01 Feb 03

Maybe, but I agree with Jazzypop that the MBR is highly likely to be damaged.

Fortunately not the end of the (Windows) world though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…