pc wont boot from hard drive

DiscMan 10:58 09 Oct 05

After trying to install Norton Systemworks, which took me through a series of dialog boxes I’ve had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall xp from the recovery disc. The installation seems to be ok but when the pc restarts with the disc in it runs through the whole installation process again. If I remove the cd it continues to look for the cd and wont boot from the hard drive. I’ve looked at their website but my problem is not listed. The pc is a new Evesham MKR 64. Can anyone help?

ACOLYTE 11:10 09 Oct 05

Have you changed the boot options in the bios so it boots from the Hard drive and not the CD?,this seems as what is happening.

DiscMan 11:33 09 Oct 05

I've looked at the boot menu and the hard disc is selected as the 'boot first option'.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:52 09 Oct 05

Is the disk detected by BIOS (appears on first screen as you boot)?

If dectected the boot with the CD to recovery consul and at the c:\windows prompt type fixmbr then type exit to rboot remove CD and see if it boots from the drive.

DiscMan 12:04 09 Oct 05

Thanks for that Fruit Bat. I can see the disc on the first screen so I assume its detecting the hard drive. I’m not sure how to get to the c: prompt because when I insert the recovery disc it automatically begins to check the pc then I arrive at a dialog box which tells me the disc needs formatting to proceed. When its formatted the disc it installs the xp files and the whole process starts again.
can i get to the MBR through the Bios?

DiscMan 12:11 09 Oct 05

On the blue set xp setup screen it gives the disc size as: 190780 MB Dissk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]. Does that shed any light on the problem?

dagwoood 22:54 09 Oct 05

DiscMan, you need to get to the recovery console(as per Fruit Bat /\0/\'s post)and you get to this by inserting you XP CD and you come to a screen that will give you the option to run the recovery console.

The recovery console is the C:windows prompt that Fruit Bat /\0/\ mentioned. Just type fixmbr and press return. It will display a warning asking if you really want to run it, just select yes. It doesn't take long to do(about a second on my machine).

Then reboot your machine and see if it's done the trick.

HTH, dagwoood.

DiscMan 12:22 13 Oct 05

Thanks to all those that responded. Typed fixmbr as sugested its now working fine again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…