PC won't boot- hard disk problem?

energy324 03:10 10 Jul 14

Hi everyone! So my computer when I turn it on, it immediately goes into start up repair. Once it scans for a bit it says "contact your admisntrator to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk". In the details it says it's a "bad hard disk".

Now, a couple things. I had this problem before, and when I restarted the pc, it started working again. I don't understand how this is possible if the hard disk was truly faulty.

Additionally, to give more background. I did some things to the computer so it would run faster. I first completely reinstalled windows. After that I did a registry clean using cccleaner. And then I defragged the hard drive. This defragging, however, is something I have never done before, and it is only thing I know that I did that could have affected the hard drive. The strange thing is, is that I know that the computer was working fine after all the processes, and I was able to surf the internet ect. However, I left the computer untouched for about a week and now I can't get it to boot and keep on getting the above error.

I guess my question comes down to, is it really a hard disk error? Is this only fixable by replacing the hard disk? I just don't understand why the hard disk would suddenly have a problem when the computer wasn't even touched. Thanks!

Secret-Squirrel 09:16 10 Jul 14

Energy, normally when you get this type of message:

"Windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact your computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk."

.....it means that Windows has detected bad hard disk sectors. If that's really the case then the drive can never be trusted and should be replaced ASAP.

There are various tools available that can show you the health of a hard drive and PassMark's free "DiskCheckup" is one of them - click here. Install the program, launch it, click on the icon for your disk at the top, click the "SMART Info" tab and look down the "Status" column for any errors.

Let me know what you discover.

"why the hard disk would suddenly have a problem when the computer wasn't even touched. "

Because bad sectors are caused by physical deterioration of the drive's surface which can get worse over time even if the PC's not being used.

PS: Make sure you've got current backups of all your valuable data as there's a chance that the drive could fail catastrophically at any time.

1]: [click here

Secret-Squirrel 09:34 10 Jul 14

Ah, I've just noticed the title of your thread - "PC won't boot......". That was sloppy of me so apologies for that. I've seen your warning a few times before, and it was just that, a warning that didn't prevent the PC from booting up.

In that case you're obviously not going to be able to install anything to get a second opinion. You may have some luck with Jock's Safe Mode suggestion but I think the best option is to replace the disk as soon as you can.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:37 10 Jul 14

"Closing the Stable door" comes to mind but some advice to mirror S-S

Make sure you always have a backup or two of every hard drive

Any hard drive showing problems is never going to get better so dump it

Buy a new drive and restore the backup

energy324 13:56 10 Jul 14

Hey you guys. Safe mode does not work unfortunately. I am just annoyed because this is a friend's computer I fixed. And it was working fine after I did everything, and now it suddenly doesn't work when he uses it. Now he thinks that I broke it... At least it does sound like none the things I did caused the problem? Thankfully, since it is a netbook, he only uses it when he travels, and doesn't have any files he wants backed up. The only problem is, do I need to reinstall windows if I buy a new hard drive? Because since it is a netbook, I can't use the CD that I have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:47 10 Jul 14

What version of windows and do you have the key on a sticker on the machine?

energy324 22:50 10 Jul 14

It is windows 7. I found a label with the word product key. Is this it? However, some numbers are faded out. I'm pretty sure I could guess them, but this also seems like it will be a bit of a challenge.

energy324 22:57 10 Jul 14

Also, is there anyway to make sure this hard drive is not working? I don't know why, but I feel that there is just some glitch and the actually hard drive is fine? I heard that I can plug it in to another computer to run a scan? Could anyone tell me more about that process/link me to something that might help? Thank you!

BRYNIT 23:42 10 Jul 14

If a hard drive is failing it may still be able to work after a reinstall as the files due to luck are written to the good part of the drive its only when you start to use the computer and it has to find somewhere to write the info to the drive you start to have problems.

The product key is not always needed. If you do a restore to factory default from the recovery files or use the recovery disks the OS is usually activated from the bios. With recovery disks you can also reinstall the OS to a new drive.

You could try Hard drive Sentinel CLICK HERE After installing the trial version it will tell you the condition of the hard drive and how many bad sectors etc it will check every drive connected to a computer even external drives, I've tried this myself.

Remember like all programs make sure you read everything to make sure you do not install any extra programs, always do a custom install.

1]: [click here

BillSers 08:45 11 Jul 14

Which scans did you do with CCleaner? If you touched the registry cleaner herein could lie the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:11 11 Jul 14

You can plug the old drive into another machine and use this free program to find the windows key

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…