Pc Wont Boot with external Hard disk on

Mortious 11:38 28 Jun 07

I have come across a bit of a problem.

This morning I replaced 2 of my case fans as they were getting old and noisy. I booted the pc and It would not boot after stating the processor present. I tried mutiple times cleaned my cpufan etc and tried again. Still failed. After removing everything I booted fine and it turns out my pc wont boot into bios or past the processor information if my external hardisk is turned on.

This hardisk is just used for backup/storage so there is not boot info on it. It worked fine before I changed the fans.

Once the pc is in windows I can turn the external disk on and it works fine. But the pc wont boot with it on.

any ideas or suggestions ?

rawprawn 11:40 28 Jun 07

BIOS boot sequence?

Mortious 11:41 28 Jun 07

Cd
Hardisk (internal)
Removable media

rawprawn 11:59 28 Jun 07

Try Removeable media as first boot

Mortious 12:00 28 Jun 07

ok will try that now

umbongo(uk) 12:34 28 Jun 07

did you ground yourself before installing anything

Mortious 14:55 28 Jun 07

I was naked and had my foot on the radiator does that count ?

rawprawn 14:59 28 Jun 07

No, you should have had the other foot in your pocket!

Mortious 15:02 28 Jun 07

Well i was naked as id just got out of bed. And i thought touching the radiator wud do it as its giant metal and attached to earth.

As it stands the hard disk works but needs to be switched off untill windows loads then switched back on :/.

Ive tried turning it on when in the bios setup screen and the whole thing freezes till i turn it back off then it continues normally. Could it be somthing on the hardisk ?

ventanas 15:34 28 Jun 07

I think this may be a common issue. My Vista machine has an external hard drive (normal drive in a caddy) fitted. If it's turned on it won't boot. The Dell bios scroller only gets half way.

I don't see it as a problem, I just turn it on after the PC has fully booted.

rawprawn 16:05 28 Jun 07

Strange John, mine works with no problems, even monitored by system restore conitually from start up.(Western Digital My Book.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…