PC won't boot- error on VKD

MichelleC 07:56 05 May 03

Error message: While Initialising Devive VKD - windows protection error...

Son's PC won't even boot into safemode to let me delete keyboard driver. I can't do much in DOS to rename or delete driver.

I've tried all the M$ suggestions; tried another keyboard, rebooting with and without kb connected. Any other suggestions? Could it be a virus, as offspring doesn't have an AV (???) (and d/loads from Kazzalite!!!).

LastChip 10:59 05 May 03

Do you have a "Start UP" floppy?

MichelleC 11:12 05 May 03

I've just broken my golden rule and forgot to say... 98se. (!)

I can make a bootup floppy (I've also made NSW rescue floppies) - what to do? (I'll get home a bit later to try things).

VoG™ 11:36 05 May 03

I assume you've seen click here

LastChip 11:41 05 May 03

First. When you have made your boot disk, don't forget to "write protect" it. If it is a virus (and Kassa is known to be a nightmare in this respect), the last thing you need is a boot floppy that is contaminated.

Next. Boot with the floppy to "Start WITHOUT CD ROM Support". You will end up with an a: prompt.

At the prompt, type the command;

scanreg /restore

(note the space between the g and /)

The system should scan the registries and give you five good registries to choose from in USA date order mm/dd/yyyy! Choose a date prior to this problem and tell the system to restore the registry.

See now if the system will boot up.

If not, try your NSW disks, and see if you can detect a virus. Norton may be able to clean it out for you, or you may have to visit their site to get a program to eliminate specific virus's.

If all else fails, you could try a re-install straight over the top of the existing. In other words, from the boot disk DOS prompt a: type setup and re-install. The problem with this procedure, is that it picks up existing settings, so there are no guarantee's it will resolve your problem

MichelleC 11:58 05 May 03

Thanks guys. I tried the m$ fixes, but I'll give the other things a go. It'll keep me out of mischief for a while.

MichelleC 07:39 06 May 03

Well, I used a NSW rescue disk made on my pc. You're only supposed to use it on pc which made it, but was worth the risk. It took nearly 8 hrs to scan. Didn't say there was a virus - does it in DOS? Also ran other utilities ie disk dr. It booted to Win and had to reinstall device drivers. Desktop had no b/g but I'll reinstall 98 over itself later.

Why does NSW av take 8hrs to scan in DOS but only 1hr in Windows?

MichelleC 09:04 07 May 03

Re-installed 98 over itself and had to reinstall device drivers, but all seems to be well now. And offspring will now have firewall and av or I'm not going to fix again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…