PC won't boot up after sleep mode!

puddylump 10:33 AM 04 Apr 12

Last night, I shut down my computer and in the dark, I must have hit a sleep button instead of the power down button. This isn't normally a problem as I can just press a key on the keyboard and it wakes up. This time however, it didn't do this. I'm using a wireless keyboard and figured that it wasn't working for some reason. I tried plugging in a wired keyboard to the same effect. I tried doing a cold shutdown, still nothing. Whenever it boots up, it just returns to sleep mode.

After an hour of trawling various internet forums for answers, I found out that my BIOS might be corrupted. I really don't want to have to go inside my computer and do various tests on it, so if anyone can help me here, that would be great.

I'm running Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit, and I don't have a recovery disk.

Thanks in advance.

onthelimit1 10:50 AM 04 Apr 12

Have you tried 'last known good configuration' (tap f8 during boot to display the menu)?

puddylump 10:54 AM 04 Apr 12

Thing is, the monitor doesn't show anything when I boot up. It's like the computer is just booting into sleep mode. I've tried tapping F8 over and over, but nothing happens.

lotvic 14:10 PM 04 Apr 12

Unplug from the mains wall socket, Press and Hold in the Power Button for 30 seconds. Wait at least another 2 or 3 minutes and then plug back in and boot up. This often clears it.

If that doesn't work then tell us if there is any sign of life - lights, fan noise etc. (Have you checked the fuse in the mains plug if there is no sign of life?)

puddylump 20:34 PM 04 Apr 12

Haha! I tried this about 15 minutes before you posted, and it worked! Thank you :)

lotvic 21:22 PM 04 Apr 12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know