pc won't boot up

Ranger 14:45 02 Apr 03

switched of my pc last night with no problems tried to boot up just now but only get post beep and sound coming from floppy and this repeats like it is caught in a loop, Ithe bios does not show and I can't get into it to check any settings.

I am goig to try removing memory and try a good stick in it, I am also going to try a different graphics card, any other ideas anyone?

sattman 15:20 02 Apr 03

I dont suppose you have left a floppy in A drive have you.

Megatyte 15:35 02 Apr 03

Disconnect your floppy and see if it forces you into BIOS setup.

AH

TimC 15:51 02 Apr 03

If you are in the mood to open the case, try removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS settings - I had a similar problem and was recommended to try this - I couldn't as the PC had already been collected for repair!

Tog 16:00 02 Apr 03

Try just reseating the memory first.

PA28 16:40 02 Apr 03

Try booting with a system disk in the floppy (your recovery disk will do). I don't think it'll work as by the stage it looks for system files it should have offered an opportunity to get into BIOS, but it might be that the boot sector of your HD has a problem and it is looking for 2nd choice boot-up.

Ranger 17:40 02 Apr 03

I have tried the following

cleared the cmos by using the jumpers
tried swapping memory around
tried a different graphics card
removied the floppy, got a series of 8 beeps when I did this.
put a windows 2000 startup disk into floppy, got two rapid beeps when I did this.
removed all ide cables and floppy from Motherboard, got a series of 8 beeps when I did this.
beginning to think the motherboard is goosed, but I will try rmoving the battery

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…