PC won't boot up

jimshall 22:40 27 Mar 11

My PC will not boot up at all, I just see it search for the CD. The screen stays blank. A clue is that for a short while the PC would boot up once it had been on for a few minutes, but now it does nothing. I wonder if there is a thermal cut-out that's faulty. Any advice would be much apppreciated, it's an old PC but does all I need it to.

2bathblack 23:26 27 Mar 11

is it meant to boot from a CD? Remove any CD and see if it will boot from the Hard Drive.

jimshall 13:16 28 Mar 11

No it makes no difference whether there's a disk in there or not. I can't get into CMOS setup in any case.

Jollyjohn 13:22 28 Mar 11

Possibly a failed power supply - can you borrow one to try?

Are there any beeps coming from the pc as it tries to start - if so they will guide you to the fault.
Google "beep codes" and look for your BIOS / CMOS - Phoenix, AMI, etc.

If you have on board graphics try using it insted of your graphics card.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 28 Mar 11

No beeps but DVD LED lit?

No screen at all?

Faulty PSU, Hard drive or motherboard.

Oerating system W7 VISTA XP?
try booting with with Windows DVD / CD in drive anything happen?

No DVD/ CD try tapping F8 as it boots do you get a mnu screen up?

Terry Brown 17:50 28 Mar 11

When you first start the machine are you getting the text on the screen (boot-strapping), before it tries to start windows.

It sounds very much like your PSU (Power supply unit) has failed,.

Try removing everything connected to the computer - Harddrive-USB drives-Printer-Scanner etc, and start up.

It should get to the end of the text and stop with a flashing curser.If that happens conect one harddrive and try again.

Terry

jimshall 09:50 03 Apr 11

Thanks for advice so far. Have checked all PSU voltages and all are fine so don't want to buy a new PSU just on a hunch that it is the problem. There's no bleeps,no display, just get the CD lights going on and off (maybe as it does an initial boot sequence?) and a few clicks from the HDD. All fans are running. Shame to scrap it as it does all I need but it is 10 years old. Am loathe to take it to a PC repair shop who wouldcharge more than its worth, so if anybody has any further ideas , would appreciate it. The best clue is that the PC needed to warm up before booting up prior to it packing up completely.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 03 Apr 11

"The best clue is that the PC needed to warm up before booting up prior to it packing up completely."

PSU,
voltages need to be checked under load conditions

Can you try the PSU from another machine?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant