PC won't boot

x_wozza_x 15:59 11 Oct 10

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. My laptop won't boot whatsoever. I will explain what happened.

I had windows 7 on my laptop and wanted to re-install Vista as I prefer it. So I inserted the disc to install Vista and went through the installation period, after it finished it went to a black screen with just my cursor showing, I left it longer assuming it was still doing the installation. Then I turned the laptop off, tried to reboot thinking the installation had crashed and now the laptop won't boot.

I've tried safe mode etc and nothing will work, and I don't want to lose all the stuff on my laptop. i.e (700+ music tracks)

Can anyone help please?

Many Thanks,
Dan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 11 Oct 10

"So I inserted the disc to install Vista and went through the installation period, after it finished it went to a black screen with just my cursor showing,"

If you wiped & and reinstalled Vista (formatting the drive) you have probably lost everything on the drive anyway.

Try a startup repair from the DVD

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

woodchip 17:32 11 Oct 10

My guess is the Boot sector does not know what;s going on with all the changes you have made. Only way that I can see is try to get something working by running first TestDisk click here if that fails click here

x_wozza_x 20:15 11 Oct 10

Thanks for your answers.

I'm currently doing the first reply but the start-up repair screen has been on now for about an hour, is this standard?

Regards
Dan

woodchip 20:44 11 Oct 10

No

woodchip 20:45 11 Oct 10

Is the Hard Drive showing any activity?

x_wozza_x 20:46 11 Oct 10

How do you mean?

x_wozza_x 20:49 11 Oct 10

The green disc light is flickering

x_wozza_x 16:14 13 Oct 10

Can anyone help please? Still can't get it booted up. Thanks.

woodchip 16:25 13 Oct 10

have you tried the links I supplied?

x_wozza_x 16:27 13 Oct 10

I don't know what to do with them to be totally honest. Do I need to be on the laptop to go on the links?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced