pc wont boot up

morph76 21:50 09 Aug 09

Hi everybody

Today my pc decided to not boot up for me. the hdd light stays solid red after i switch on the pc and there are no beeps. ive opened it up just to check for loose cables, and all the fans are spinning to. there have been no recent software or hardware changes, pllllease help !

Ally

Night Ryder 02:04 10 Aug 09

Well could be your Mother Board has died. Has happened to me before now. Are there any beeps from your motherboard when you fire it up?

If you search Google for post bios beeps you will find a guide.

The procedure here is to remove everything from your mother board then put back one at a time to find out what the problem is dependent on the number of beeps you get

CalmCookie 11:56 10 Aug 09

Hi,
I recommend resetting the BIOS.

Find the JUMPER for CLEARING the BIOS. Make sure the PC is off and unplugged.

Reseat the Jumper for Clearing the BIOS for 10 seconds then seat the Jumper back to its normal setting.
To be double sure I would also remove the BIOS battery for 1 minute then replace.....being careful how you handle it...try and handle it only by the side.

Restore the power cable to the PC and switch on, the BOOT screen may show that the BIOS requires resetting, enter the BIOS by using the DELETE key (usually) and Select Default Settings. Then Save and Exit.

Good Luck

:o)

morph76 18:06 10 Aug 09

thanks for your suggestions, ill give them both a shot and let you know what i blow up :)

morph76 21:49 12 Aug 09

Well after much googling and trying your ideas i have had no joy. i tried resetting the cmos and also removed each item from the mobos slots and there were never any beeps. i tried using the original power supply unit and graphics card as i changed them a while ago but that made no difference either. would there be any other tips i could try before i go on a search for a new pc ?

ally

cream. 22:01 12 Aug 09

out from the back of the hard drive with the computer switched off. Start the computer.

Does the computer POST.?

Technotiger 22:02 12 Aug 09

Was the system clock (bottom right corner of screen) keeping good time? You could be lucky and find that the Battery needs changing for a new one, especially if the PC is a few years old??

morph76 22:34 12 Aug 09

cream, i have 2 hdds. i tried what you said and nothing has happened and the red hdd light is on solid with no beeps with the power connectors out. just something else to mention is that a few days ago i was watching a dvd and the computer froze, it was rambo so maybe it was frightened.

Technotiger, im going to buy a new cmos battery tomorrow to try that, i never noticed the clock running behind but its something to try

cream. 22:40 12 Aug 09

out from the motherboard.
same for optical drives and floppy if you have one.
Use just one stick of ram
pull all cards out of the pci slots
take out any usb connections
unplug mouse and keyboard
take out graphics card IF it has onboard graphics

PS your cmos battery will not stop the computer POSTing even if it were flat. It would guide you to setup.

cream. 22:42 12 Aug 09

Take the data cables for the hard drives
out from the motherboard.
same for optical drives and floppy if you have one.
Use just one stick of ram
pull all cards out of the pci slots
take out any usb connections
unplug mouse and keyboard
take out graphics card IF it has onboard graphics

Start the computer and see if it POST's

woodchip 22:45 12 Aug 09

Try this, Remove Ribbon Plug from Hard Drive and see if it will let you boot to BIOS. I think the MBR on the Hard Drive is corrupt. It cannot read the Drive from the Index file

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017