PC won't boot

griffo 18:03 17 Oct 08

Just in case everyone ignores my earlier thread because it has a Resolved tick on it - please read:

click here

thanks

woodchip 22:54 17 Oct 08

OK so you are doing it wrong, forget whats in the other thread. Start with CD. then press F6 when it says about Setup. It will then look for a OS on your Hard Drive and it will show you the OS on your drive in a box. You should click on the First one that was on the drive when you got it not the second install that you put on, then press R for repair.

griffo 09:16 18 Oct 08

thanks for the reply woodchip.

I have been trying to get to the repair function but it only showed one installation and asked for the password - can't get past there as I don't know it.

This morning it wouldn't even boot from the CD. This PC has 2 removable HD's in caddy's (used for back-ups). So, the first thing I did was remove them and put them into a USB caddy to look at them on my laptop. One is fine, the other is dead (wonder if this one dying caused the main problem?).

Next I took out the master HD and looked at that on my laptop and all looks fine (I have copied the back-up that was on the dead HD, so our data is safe.

What puzzles me is why I can't do anything 'sensible' with the master HD in it's PC?

Anyway, would it be possible to use the windows CD to run a repair on the master HD, whilst it's in the USB caddy, using my laptop? Hope that's clear - sorry it's a lengthy reply/question.

woodchip 14:11 18 Oct 08

Look like the boot sector may be corrupt on the drive, but may just be the boot.ini file thats faulty. You could do a Disc check of the main drive while in the Caddy on the Laptop, also open the boot.ini file to see if you can see any problems. check it with the Laptop one if both are running same OS

griffo 17:30 18 Oct 08

I'm less sure that it's the HD rather than a hardware fault, as the PC keeps re-booting all the time, sometimes every few seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced