pc won't boot

allo allo 17:27 05 Feb 05

I have just upgraded my old pc, with a socket 370 motherboard (msi 6334), P3 cpu and some more RAM. It had worked fine before (though it was sluggish). But now the bios loads, and a screen comes up saying that windows was shut off incorrectly or something, and it asks if i want to load windows (xp home) normally. I says yes, and it loads, the screen then flashes blue then red and the pc restarts. The pc wont load the OS. Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

AndySD 17:30 05 Feb 05

If you have the windows xp cd then try a restore instalation click here if you have a rescue disk then post back.

allo allo 17:35 05 Feb 05

I don't have a restore disk for it, I have lost it. I only have a restore disk for an Advent T9402 and an Advent 3316, this is a heavily modified tiny 450. I don't know if that would work.

FelixTCat 17:57 05 Feb 05

I think that XP is having trouble with the new motherboard. It needs drivers for just about every component on a motheroard and sometimes it just cannot cope - other changes seem to work OK. Can you boot into safe mode (Keep pressing F8 during the boot process until a menu appears)? Sometimes if you boot into safe mode first it can load enough of the new drivers that it will then boot fully next time.

allo allo 18:02 05 Feb 05

it wont boot into safe mode, it does the same, just restarts

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 05 Feb 05

click here

Start up floppies

you should then beable to run C:\i386\setup

This will install XP from the i386 folder and you can overwrite the old instalation. It should install correct drivers to then get you going

allo allo 18:29 05 Feb 05

it wont load, it says there is an I/O error, what does that mean?

allo allo 18:31 05 Feb 05

did the disks have to be created using the affected computer? because the disks i used were created with one of my other pcs

FelixTCat 18:57 05 Feb 05

Can you get into the BIOS (usually hold down DEL on boot-up)?

Does the BIOS correctly recognise your hardware (hdd, RAM etc)?

allo allo 19:09 05 Feb 05

the bios recongnises everything

FelixTCat 19:25 05 Feb 05

If the BIOS recognises everything, then clearly your monitor is working at that stage. At what stage of the boot process does it stop working?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…