//some 3rd party need geo

PC won't boot

techy gal 11:58 18 Dec 04

For some reason my Pc has suddenly decided not to boot. I can force it to by selecting F9 when the HP thing comes up and then I have to select which 'IPL device' I wish to boot from. This is fine but irritating!
I read something that hinted I needed perhaps to look at my boot.ini file and a search revealed I only have a backup. What should the boot.ini file say (I wish to boot from C:\ and have Windows XP Pro) and proabably more importantly where should it be.? The backup is in C:\WINDOWS\pss
Please can you help?

BurrWalnut 13:52 18 Dec 04

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If you have a single operating system it should look like this. Hopefully this will post as 5 lines. Copy and paste it in the root folder (C:\) as boot.ini using notepad.

BurrWalnut 13:54 18 Dec 04

The last 2 lines shown above is line 5 and there is a space between XP and Professional.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…