PC won't boot

faintly curious 17:30 13 Jul 04

Hi all!

I have a problem with a PC which had been working fine, but suddenly won't boot - not even a message on the monitor which remains completely blank (and yes the monitor is fine!). It checks the floppy disc drive, and that's as far as it gets. Repeatedly accessing the floppy drive as though looking for a disc, though when I tried putting in a boot disc this was not read. I tried a new floppy drive but the same thing happened. The PC just keeps on starting the boot sequence but gets no further than checking the floppy drive.

Any suggestions please?

Indigo 1 17:31 13 Jul 04

Does it beep at all ?

bof:) 19:39 13 Jul 04

have you downloaded anything new onto your PC lately? have you tried plugging monitor into another pc just to makesure its working?

Mike

Totally-braindead 20:06 13 Jul 04

It should at least show the motherboard screen, if it doesn't then I would be inclined to check the monitor first and then the graphics card. Make sure your internal speaker is connected cos as Indigo 1 has mentioned this can actually tell you what it is thats wrong.

gudgulf 20:24 13 Jul 04

Knowing the specification of your pc would be helpful ;o))

Dorsai 20:53 13 Jul 04

Has the PC been moved recently, E.G. from one room to another (and shaken something loose)?

Perhaps a cable has been shaken loose by over-zealous hoovering of the floor, ( i have seen it happen), that has banged the hoover into the PC once too often??

Suggestion only!

PA28 20:56 13 Jul 04

I've known this happen when the cable has been taken off the floppy and reconnected the wrong way round......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…