PC won't boot

RussG 19:36 27 Jun 04

To cut a long story short, my wife's PC crashed suddenly and wouldn't reboot. I rebooted from the floppy and ran scandisk , reported directories and files currupted but scandisk fixed , it didn't. In the end I thought I'd start from scratch ,reformatted the drive intending to do a clean install. When I boot from the floppy and try and to install windows it runs scandisk, says the drive is reporting the volume incorrectly , fixes it then hangs..............

Any suggestions where I go from here.

Rayuk 19:42 27 Jun 04

Can you download hard drive manufacturers diagnostic software then run it see if it gives you any error codes.

livewire 19:43 27 Jun 04

Sounds like the partition table is dameaged. You may need to run FDISK and rewite the partition prior to installing.

Gongoozler 19:46 27 Jun 04

Hi RussG. More info on the computer and the version of Windows might help. However I am wondering what is happening here. Scandisk is part of Windows, therefore if you have formatted the hard drive, I can't understand how your computer can possibly be trying to run Scandisk before you have reinstalled Windows.

RussG 19:52 27 Jun 04

I ran scandisk from the floppy. Windows 98 prior to my reformat. I will try the suggestions above and come back if I need more help.
Thanks for now chaps.

livewire 19:52 27 Jun 04

Gongoozler, I belive any Windows 95/98/ME installations always run scandisk to check the integrity of files on the drive, the file is run from CD before the Hard Disk is set-up.

Im not sure if Windows XP starts a chkdsk before setup- but it would seem logical.

Regardless, Gongoozler is most correct- we do need more info on your system for a more accuate problem diagnosis.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 27 Jun 04

Had same problem formatted a dozen times still same. Finally ran fdisk wipe all partions set one primary and then reformatted before I could re-install Win98se

R4 20:00 27 Jun 04

If it's Win 98 - 98se or ME try:- Make sure you have all your driver CD's available ( Mobo / Sound / Graphics etc. )

Boot from the Floppy into dos

type fdisk. . . then delete all the patitions

Recreate new partition and make active.

Reboot and format then:-

Reboot and reinstall windows from Windows CD.

Unfortunately after this you will have lost any work you have on the system:

RussG 20:52 27 Jun 04

Hi chaps , fdisk and reformat finally worked though I nearly gave up, currently reinstalling Windows. Curious to why/how this happened though.

Mant thanks for all you help.

Gongoozler 09:05 28 Jun 04

Livewire is, of course, correct. My brain is obviously getting a bit addled with advancing years and I'd completely forgotten the ScanDisk prior to Windows 98 installation.

RussG, you'll probably never find what caused your problem, but because FDISK sorted it, presumeably the Master Boot Record (MBR), which contains the Partition Table, had become corrupted. This is one of the reasons why it's best not to rely on a partition of the master hard drive for backups.

RussG 17:41 28 Jun 04

Thanks for your help and advice Gongoozler,
its much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…