pc wont boot

KPC 08:20 02 Aug 03

a mate of mine has recently had a copy of xp put on his machine and yesterday he tried to boot his computer when the following came on his screen in black and white..

something to do with a hardware problem and then

start with
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
last known config
start windows normally

he said he has tried all the options and when he hits enter it brings the win xp start up window...the one with the white strip with blue dots moving left to right and then when you expect the next log on screen, it comes back to the above.....what could be the problem

DieSse 08:28 02 Aug 03

"what could be the problem"

is probably contained in the error message "something to do with a hardware problem"

It would help if you/your friend could be a bit more specific - the full error messge - some details about the system - whether it's run OK since XP was put on or not has something just been added to the system - etc.

Otherwise, as I'm sure you will appreciate, it's a bit like saying "my car won't start - what's wrong with it" to a mechanic who can't see the car.

mark500 08:31 02 Aug 03

When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.
So, what do you do about it, panic and try to mount your boot in your computer...... No that is probably not a good idea.

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the Welcome to setup press the letter R
You will get a dos prompt
Then type "chkdsk /p" without the quotes and hit enter
When that is done type "fixboot" and hit enter
"Y" and enter at the prompt
Then type "exit" and hit enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type "chkdsk /r" then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

KPC 08:37 02 Aug 03

ok...thanks and also i will try and get more info, but the problem is that surely if he then tried to do one of the following, it should have booted

DieSse 11:56 02 Aug 03

"surely if he then tried to do one of the following, it should have booted."

If only things were that easy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…