Pc will start properly

kurd70 10:52 25 Apr 09

Hi

I have a problem with my pc xp
When i turn the power on the monitor get as far the microsoft window xp with the horizontal bar screen and after that the screen goes black and nothing else happens
When i turn off the pc and it gives all the options start windows normally, or last known configuration same thing happens get to windows xp bar screen, i have tried the option to use safe mode and when i try this it get as far as
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\sysyem32\drivers\Mups.sys and no further

Please help

Regards

Kieran

rawprawn 10:57 25 Apr 09

Can you boot with your XP CD and then try a System Restore?

kurd70 11:04 25 Apr 09

Hi
I have no xp cd or factory reset cd
I can not get into the desktop. I do not know how to use system restore if the pc will not load
Regards

Kieran

rawprawn 11:10 25 Apr 09

Then the only way I can think of is to borrow an XP CD and "Repair Windows"

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 25 Apr 09

Mups.sys is not the problem as Mups.sys is the last device to load XP then hangs after this point.

Its a problem either with hardware or one of the drivers.

first check that all cables to devices like hard drives and DVD drives are fully inserted. you could also try booting with other drives disconnected.

If you can boot to command prompt try a CHKDSK /r on the hard drive.

If its a software problem then likely the ESCD (BIOS) or HAL in XP.

kurd70 12:07 25 Apr 09

Hi

I have checked all cables and devices and the all fully inserted

I have to go into safe mode with command prompt but with no success

I am not sure how to boot with other drive connected,please let me know how to do that

I only use this computer at the weekends,my brother uses it regularly and he says one of the last things he did was to install a game and the drivers required for it. He was able to play the game

Will not work since

Thanks

Kieran

kurd70 12:10 25 Apr 09

pc will not work since

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:36 25 Apr 09

1. check no disks in drives or usb devices plugged in, retry to boot.
2. unplug cables from DVD and any other hard drives., attempt to reboot.

kurd70 16:44 25 Apr 09

Hi I have no disks in drives and no usb devices plugged in and have the same problem as before

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…