PC will not switch on

wetterfugal © 18:25 10 May 05

I have a PC I built three years ago and it suddenly powered down. I was not accessing it at that time. I was using this Win 98 machine.

I suspect a power supply failure. When I press the power on button a tiny amber LED lights up adjacent to the PSU connector on the motherboard and the processor fan kicks in for about half a turn and that's all. The green light stays on. there is no voltages on the PSU connector other than two volts on a green wire that goes to the on off button. I assume that the PSU requires an indication that the button has been pressed.

If I press and hold the button after a few seconds the amber LED goes off.

That's as far as I am able to go. How can I test to find out if the problem is the PSU or the motherboard which is a Gigabyte 7V ..... something

I might add that the computer has been acting up lately, On boot up I got a "Detecting" then a rotating busy slash then "PDC20276 BIOS not detected because there are no drivers attached"

Sometimes followed by a memory dump and others windows XP would start up Then crash after a few hours.

Anyone any ideas?

961 19:12 10 May 05

On the basis that a new psu is not that expensive I would start there

After 3 years even if you went on to find something else needed replacing, for example the motherboard, you would put a new psu in at that stage anyway. And even if you built a new one the psu wouldn't be wasted

jack 19:54 10 May 05

Start with a replacement PSU [ or a used spare]
then take it from there, you may wind up with a half new PC or a totally new one- who can tell

wetterfugal © 20:58 10 May 05

I think you are right, The easy way would be to get a new PSU. I think in the mean time as I have been constructing radios and electronic circuits since I was 12 years old in 1944, I feel that I should not let a switch mode power supply beat me.

I consider this now resolved and thank you for your advice, Regards, Vic.

( will be posting a question on the PSU problem seperatly}

wetterfugal © 20:59 10 May 05

I think you are right, The easy way would be to get a new PSU. I think in the mean time as I have been constructing radios and electronic circuits since I was 12 years old in 1944, I feel that I should not let a switch mode power supply beat me.

I consider this now resolved and thank you for your advice, Regards, Vic.

( will be posting a question on the PSU problem seperatly}

wetterfugal © 18:51 12 May 05

Thanks all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…