PC will not start into XP following update - HELP!

Buzzard905 17:03 27 Jan 05

Really need help here.I upgraded to SP2 but found my machine didn't like it.I then went to restore point before update and now the PC wont start up.I get the option screen (black) and it starts with the XP Home opening page then goes to black screen with only the cursor showing.Starting in safe mode does the same,only with the Safe Mode displayed on the four corners.I run an HP machine and have tried restoring windows (its on a partition) but it has made no difference.I can't do a full restore as there are docs. that I need.
Cheers

VoG II 17:05 27 Jan 05
  georgemac © 17:07 27 Jan 05

OK - is the cpu a 64 bit athlon?

HP & Mesh 64 bit athlon cpu's have a problem with SP2, and if the safe mode retore does not work it gets to be a complex fix.

I fixed a friends mesh after this, had to reinstall xp on top of itself without wiping out the hard disk.

You could try the recovery console, I have never used it but there is an excellent guide click here

wait for some other opinions before proceeding - especially if it is not a 64 bit athlon cpu

Buzzard905 17:24 27 Jan 05

Am trying to download boot disks onto lap top at moment so I'll see what happens! Need an idiot guide as it's an idiots problem (IT dept. fixes my work stuff!)

Buzzard905 17:32 27 Jan 05

So I need 6 floppy's then just start from one upon powering up PC - right? Will my doc's be ok from here on or should I really pay the guy £30/hour???

VoG II 17:36 27 Jan 05

Just start with the first floppy in the drive. You will be prompted to insert the others.

Your docs should remain intact.

Buzzard905 17:37 27 Jan 05

Cheers!I'll let you know what happens!

Buzzard905 20:12 28 Jan 05

It wont start from disk boot - if I go to (but do not proceed with!) FIXMBR it tells me there are invalid partitions or something along those lines.I need to recover my docs. before risking wiping them - is it time to call someone who knows???
:-(

johnnyrocker 20:23 28 Jan 05

try hitting F8 during boot and when asked for what you want to boot from select last known good configuration?

johnny.

Buzzard905 20:28 28 Jan 05

Sorry Johnny - ben there 'n done that!! System wont go beyond start up screen - goes black and stays that way

georgemac © 20:34 28 Jan 05

I am very cautious here as I have never had to run the recovery console, and because your docs seem so important.

You can get someone who really knows what they are doing?

What messages did you get when you typed the chkdsk command - I assume you have done this and this is when you were told there were invalid partitions?

An option is to have someone remove your hard drive and connect it in another pc as a slave drive, hope it is recognised OK and copy your docs off it with a dvd writer, then refit it to your pc and reinstall xp again, preferably from a disk with xp sp2 slipstreamed on it.

Do not proceed with fixmbr as this may totally destroy the partition tables click here if your data is that important you need to try and do all you can to recover it first.

Shows the importance of having a backup - which does not help you I am afraid. Wait until some more advice comes along.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…