pc will not start

iqs 10:05 06 Jan 06

hello all...windows me.....yesterday my friends pc crashed and he is unable to switch the pc back on.he can not even access the bios.i think he may have a virus?.the reason why i say this is due to a voice saying ha ha before the pc crashed.
like i said the pc will not switch on,but there is power.can anyone offer any advice.many thanks,mike

billyliv 10:52 06 Jan 06

Change hard drive and re-instal ME. Deploy a boot sector Anti Virus program. instal and format infected drive as slave. Bill

billyliv 10:54 06 Jan 06

Sounds like he has opened a 'This is beautiful' e.mail.

iqs 12:44 06 Jan 06

Hello billyliv,and many thanks for your help.He could probably do as you suggested if the Pc would at least load the bios.All that happens when the power switch is pressed ,is the lights on the tower and keyboard flash???.Hope to here from you soon.cheers ,mike

ACOLYTE 13:33 06 Jan 06

He could try a spare CPU if he has one,the symptoms described could be caused by a failed CPU.What he could do to be sure is load the hard drive as a slave drive to another pc,and run a virus scan on it that way.

iqs 21:54 07 Jan 06

Hi all and many thanks for your suggestions.Still having issues,no change.Possibly time for a new Pc.Once again thanks.Regards,mike

Zeppelyn 22:31 07 Jan 06

Have you tried taking out the CMOS battery and reinserting after 30 secs. That should load the default BIOS settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced